For thousands of years, mankind has obtained fabrics by manually spinning and weaving wool and vegetable fibers. That is why we meet the expectations of our customers and obtain materials and products that are manufactured as they were hundreds of years ago.
That is why we decided to introduce hand-woven blankets to our offer, which will suit every era and for home use.
If you want to learn more about it, check out our article about hand-woven blankets!
The wool for our blankets comes from long-haired Carpathian sheep. Twice a year, the sheep are sheared and the wool is processed on site by local craftsmen. The shearing process is carried out as it was centuries ago: with manual shears, without excessive stress to the animals. Want to know more about how it's done? See photos and description of the process on our blog!
After collecting the wool, it is properly prepared: combed and carded. Then it is ready for further processing:
- First, it is spun by hand using spindles. Such a process takes a lot of time, which is why many women are involved in it at the same time!
- Some of the finished yarn is dyed. As a result, the blankets have colored stripes.
- After the wool is ready, it's time to weave the blanket: on our blog you will find a full description and photos of the process - click here!
Carpathian sheep wool is naturally white, gray, brown or black. If you care about having an undyed blanket, you can choose completely white or with stripes in this colours. Other colors, such as red, orange, green or pink, are obtained in the dyeing process. You can read more about it on our blog in the post about creating a hand-woven blanket.
In addition to historical correctness (which is very important for reenactors), the undeniable advantages of hand-woven blankets include:
- uniqueness - each blanket has a unique pattern of stripes,
- good thermal insulation - wool is a natural thermoactive fiber,
- vapor permeable fabric - sweat evaporates during sleep, because the plain weave is not too tight,
- universality - hand-woven blankets are suitable for every historical era (from antiquity to modern times),
- versatile - you can use them in any situation: from a sleeping bag to a coat.